updated 18 Aug 2014, 07:35
Login password or
Thu, Jun 05, 2014
Email Print Decrease text size Increase text size
Death to love: The dark tale behind Farzana's 'honour killing' in Pakistan

Muhammad Iqbal, whose wife Farzana was bludgeoned to death by family members who disapproved of their marriage, fondly recalls the woman he fell in love with at first sight - but in Pakistan, nothing is ever that simple, not even love.

Farzana Iqbal (nee Parveen), 25, was murdered by a group of assailants including her father on May 27, witnesses and police said, because she fell in love with and married Muhammed Iqbal in January instead of a cousin they had selected for her.

"She was a very happy person. And she was the best wife anyone could ask for," said Iqbal, 45, in his mud-brick home in the village of Moza Sial in central Pakistan, 240km west of Lahore. "She never lied. She never broke her promises. That's what I loved and respected the most about her. She never let me down. But I let her down. It was my duty to save her and I let her down," the widower lamented.

The dark tale of love, betrayal and murder has stunned people around the world, with the United Nations condemning Farzana's killing and a major international newspaper running a Reuters photograph of the grisly aftermath of the attack on its front page.

In Pakistan, a Muslim country of some 180 million people, the reaction has been more muted. Many conservative families consider it shameful for a woman to fall in love and choose her own husband. Refusal to accept arranged marriages frequently results in so-called 'honour killings'.

In 2013, 869 such cases were reported in the media, according to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, and the true figure is probably higher since many cases go unreported.

News travelled further afield in Farzana's case partly because it took place in broad daylight outside the High Court in the city of Lahore, Pakistan's cultural capital.

Murder, marriage, murder

The couple's relationship was itself born of a shockingly violent act, one perpetrated by Iqbal himself. In a blunt admission, he said he killed his first wife in a fight over Farzana in 2009.

"I got angry. We were fighting, the kind of fights husband and wife often have. But I held her by the neck and just meant to push her but she died," he said.

"I was going to see Farzana and she stood in my way and said she wouldn't let me go. So I pushed her. There was a murder case against me for three to four years but then my sons forgave me, so I went free. Then I married Farzana." Under Islamic law, which is accepted by Pakistani courts, victims' families can decide the fate of convicted criminals.

On May 27, Farzana, her husband and other family members were attacked on their way to Lahore High Court, where they had planned to argue that their marriage was genuine in response to a charge of kidnapping brought by Farzana's family.

"During the scuffle, one unknown accused brought out a pistol and fired a shot which reportedly ... hit Farzana near the ankle," said a Lahore police source. "At the same time, the father, Muhammad Azeem, hit Farzana with a brick taken from the roadside, while Zahid, the brother, and Mazhar Iqbal, the cousin, also joined in. Farzana died on the spot."

Umer Cheema, a police official in Lahore, told Reuters her autopsy showed that Farzana was shot in the shin, adding that police had arrested four people including her uncle Attaullah and her father.

A police source said Farzana had actually been married at the time of her wedding to Iqbal, but told the families she was engaged. Iqbal denied the previous marriage, saying his late wife's family used the accusation to build a case against him.

Attempts in Lahore to contact representatives of the five arrested people were not immediately successful, and it was not clear whether they had lawyers.

On May 31, new revelations about Farzana's death came from her elder sister Khalida Bibi, who told reporters that it was Muhammad Iqbal who killed her. "I was present at the scene and when she came out of the lawyer's chamber and as soon as she saw us standing on the other side of the road, she rushed towards us. Iqbal and his accomplices chased her and hit her with bricks."

Bibi claimed she had spent 13 days with Farzana in a women's shelter last month where she said she was hiding from Iqbal. "She told me that Iqbal had kidnapped her and forced her into marriage," she said. "She feared that Iqbal might kill her like his previous wife, Ayesha."

While Iqbal admits to killing his first wife, he denies Bibi's allegations. "It's all rubbish and a bundle of lies," he told Reuters. "She wants to hold me responsible for her sister's murder which was committed by her own father, brothers and other family members."

Wedded bliss

Iqbal, a farmer, cried as he prayed at the freshly dug grave of his wife. Leaves and rose petals were strewn over the earth, and the petals stained the back of his white shirt red. He said he and his wife had been threatened by her family several times after he told the father he was unable to pay more than US$800 (S$1,006) to win approval for the relationship.

Iqbal described his friendship and short-lived marriage with Farzana as blissful. "Our lands are side-by-side and I used to see her when she came to her lands," he said. "I found her very beautiful and I fell in love with her. I asked for her hand in marriage and her family agreed at first."

"She used to love singing this song to me: 'Don't talk ill of the lover who is gone, Don't think bad of the one you love'. She would always sing this to me," Iqbal added, fighting back tears.

"When I took a shower, she would wait outside with my clothes. And she would sit me in front of the mirror and comb my hair. When I went to work on the fields, she often came along. I would tell her to go back home but she said she wanted to stay there with me." Her stepchildren from Iqbal's previous marriage said they loved her as their own mother.

"She was my mother," said stepson Aurangzeb, 22, sitting alongside his father. "She would do anything for me. She was a beautiful person. I forgave my father for killing my real mother and then god gave me a second mother. Now she is also gone."

Farzana lived in the mud-brick home with Iqbal and his three sons. On the day she was murdered, she kissed the children goodbye before leaving for Lahore.

"We had to leave for the hearing. I can still see her walking around this room, getting ready. She changed her clothes, put on some cream, combed her hair in front of the mirror," Iqbal said. "Then she sat down and put on her shoes. She kissed her stepsons and told them: 'I'm going away. If life remains, I will see you again'."

readers' comments

Copyright © 2014 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.